Under the direct supervision of the Utilities Foreman and/or their designated representative, the Wastewater Crew Leader is responsible for the supervision of Wastewater Department Staff; including the coordinating of and performance of general maintenance and construction duties as required for the installation, maintenance, and repair of the City’s Wastewater Collection System – including wastewater mains, service lines, cleanouts, manholes, lift stations, etc. This position will be required to participate in the On-Call Rotation schedule and must live within forty-five (45) minutes of the Kyle Public Works facility to respond to emergency calls. This position is considered essential personnel and may be required to work during emergency events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Lead, oversees, reviews, and performs routine wastewater system maintenance assignments and activities, including but not limited to wastewater line installation and repairs, manhole inspection and repairs, lift station maintenance and repairs, pump repairs, wastewater line jetting, wastewater line CCTV operations, etc.
· Develops and implements crew assignments, assists maintenance staff in troubleshooting and performing duties, providing guidance and leadership, and ensures project completion within designated timelines.
· Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluations, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
· Operates motor drive equipment and vehicles necessary to perform the duties of the department, including but not limited to backhoe, excavator, front end loader, Vactor truck, wastewater jetting machine, CCTV camera, etc.
· Assists other Public Works staff and City departments in the planning and execution of their assignments, providing labor and/or technical assistance as required.
· Inspects departmental equipment; monitors and ensures equipment is safely and properly maintained; coordinates equipment repair.
· Inspects completed work assignments to ensure that work meets departments’ quality and compliance standards and identifies any issues or concerns.
· Monitors, evaluates and ensures work areas are safe to the crews and public including but not limited to ensuring safety protocols are followed, proper personal protective equipment is used, proper traffic controls are in place, proper confined space entry procedures are adhered to, etc. Conducts safety training for the department as required.
· Utilizes City’s work order software system, including creating and completing work orders, as well as inventory management of assets.
· Performs all other duties as assigned.
Must exemplify the Team Kyle Core Roles as an Employee by:
Knowledge – Knowledgeable in all aspects of job and City operations; maintains high quality of work; follows health and safety guidelines.
Yes-Attitude – Demonstrates superior customer service; treats other employees and citizens with kindness; promotes goodwill; solves conflict with tact.
Leading Edge – Continually looking for areas to improve upon; decisive and adaptive; supports new ideas; a driver for change. Innovative
Employee Accountability -Actively seeks and gives performance feedback in order to determine developmental opportunities; uses feedback as an opportunity for continuous improvement.
Ability to Manage Performance - Organizes work processes to be effective and efficient; provides employees with the necessary training and resources to get the job done; communicates clear performance expectations and standards to the team and provides formal feedback on performance on an ongoing basis constructively and tactfully.
Develops and Leads an Effective Team - Provides learning opportunities to the team; encourages decision making and accountability; establishes a vision and direction and motivates/inspires the team to follow suit; leads by example.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Skilled or semi-skilled operational knowledge, experience, or familiarity with al Public Works machinery and equipment including, but not limited to backhoe, excavator, front end loader, Vactor truck, wastewater jetting machine, CCTV camera, etc.
Ability to analyze problems and plan solutions.
Ability to maintain records on materials needed and used.
Written Communication – Able to read and interprets written information. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, ad decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Computer Skills – Knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Office, ability to enter work order data, etc.
Organizations Support – Follow policies and procedures
Judgement – Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently.
Quantity – Meets productive standards; Completes work in timely manner.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives as meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions.
Initiative – Asks for and offers help when needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Competent training and certification from a technical or vocations school and five (5) years related work experience, including two (2) years in a supervisory or lead role is strongly preferred.
Experience in reviewing engineered plans and specifications is highly preferred.
Or equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience which evidences a comprehensive knowledge of required job duties and expectations.
TCEQ Class II Wastewater Collection License or higher is strongly preferred, or the ability to obtain within two (2) years of hire.
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License with acceptable driving record. Valid Class “B” CDL with Tanker’s endorsement is highly preferred, or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hand and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk; hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 115 pounds. Successful employees will also be able to tolerate working at heights above ground on ladders or scaffolding as needed to effect repairs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Any corrective eyewear required while operating a motor vehicle must be always worn while working.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; explosives; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position description has been prepared to assist in defining job responsibilities, physical demands, and skills needed. It is not intended as a complete list of job duties, responsibilities, and/or essential functions. This description is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The City of Kyle retains and reserves any or all rights to change, modify, amend, add to, or delete, form any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
See benefits page here!